Monday, June 20, 2011

The Spider Web



While emailing back and forth today with Justin...aka Elder Moore...we began to talk about how one choice leads to another and to another and to another and before you know it you are wondering, "What if I had made a different choice to begin with?"

I began to think about a spider web. One thread leads to hundreds of other threads. It all depends which thread you want to follow as to where you will end up.

This concept, though maybe mundane, made me take an interest in spider webs. I found out that if a spider, if it makes a mistake, does not go back to correct the web. As long as it is structurally sound, it keeps going. I related this to my life. There are many mistakes in my life, a whole lot of holes, things I would have definitely done differently. But I can't go back, I just keep going.



Another interesting phenonema is that of community spiders. They work together to build massive webs. Though some researchers believe it is to catch more prey, I follow another theory that was presented. A web of this size is meant to keep predators out. The spiders work together for the safety of each other. I thought that was a beautiful description of something so massive and frightening. For them it provides security. A lesson we humans can take from the spider.



In the end, the spider web is beautiful. It is a miracle...just as it is a miracle that no matter what our life holds, we keep going, keep spinning, keep creating. Maybe the other threads of the web would have led to a better life, maybe to a worse one...we will never know. But in the end, I choose to see my life as a masterpiece. Even with all its imperfections, it is beautiful, like the spider web.

No comments: