Monday, April 9, 2012

Coming Home

A dear friend asked me to describe the magic of my life in 150 words. It is hard to condense so much into so little...but here goes:

I always had the desire to find a place and stay put forever. Safe and secure. But once divorced, everything changed and nothing seemed right anymore. I awoke one day and I ran. I ran to a town I had never been to and a house I had bought sight unseen. A place where the only thing people knew about me was what I chose to tell them. But in my running I discovered that I had found my way to the place I always belonged. In this valley, my great-grandparents are buried two miles away and others from my family tree sleep in a cemetery thirty minutes down the road. My great great grandfather served as temple president here for 31 years. And on Christmas Eve 2010, my father was laid to rest just down the street from my home. I have roots and heritage here. I did not run away…I was actually coming home.

No comments: