Thursday, September 23, 2010

From Beast to Beauty

The kitchen is said to be the heart of the home. Well, with it just being me and Brooklyn here, not a lot of time is spent preparing, eating or cleaning the kitchen. But if our kitchen isn't the heart of the home, it is definitely the main artery. It leads from one side of the house to the other.

The kitchen in this house was icky. That is the only way I can describe it. The ceiling was low, the cabinetry old, the wall paper gross. The laminate floor bulging from leaks. The countertops were burnt and the appliances were ugly as well as not working. Maybe in "the day" this kitchen was something to be admired - although I highly doubt it!



I decided that it all had to go. The entire kitchen was gutted. Sometimes to get to the best, all the bad has to be stripped away. It is the case with us as humans...and it was certainly the case with this kitchen. Everything was taken out...including the low ceiling. The electrical was redone, the floors were demolished and scraped. The appliances and cabinetry taken away. It was a clean pallete.



And then the excitement really began! Lucky me found a wonderful deal on kitchen cabinets, appliances and the corian countertops on ksl.com. One thousand dollars for the majority of the kitchen! Yes, you heard right, one thousand dollars! I did play the "single card"...not to get a better price, but to bump me to the most needy buyer. I was not a fan of the bisque appliances or the almond corian countertop, but for one thousand dollars I knew I could make it work. And work it does! I love this kitchen. Although it may not be the heart of the home with only two of us here...it is definitely a place to enjoy. And when I have a reason to cook ;) those double ovens will come in very handy!

1 comment:

AubsandKenny said...

WOW, I love your decorating!! I can't wait to see your house in person. It tooks absolutely perfect :D