Saturday, September 25, 2010

What Can It Be Now?

I have to admit when I saw the family room I gasped in horror. It was obvious at one time it was a garage. The light switches were exactly where they would have been. the size was appropriate and the placement was dead on where a garage should have been. But now, it was a very large family room. I figure in Southern Utah where snow is rarely seen, I could use the recreational area rather than a place to park my car and all the junk I call mine.

The problems with this room were many. The brown sculptured carpet was UGLY. I was reminded of a chant: U-G-L-Y it ain't got no alibi, it's ugly absolutely ugly. And ugly it was. It looked as if someone had some idea as a doorway was being framed for starters, but there was nothing I liked about this room other than the massive size of it. And the brick wall!



One wall of the room was almost entirely brick. It had a half-moon that jutted out with a gas fireplace. I was not thrilled about that because I knew straightway that I wanted a huge Ikea entertainment center on that wall so the half-moon would have to go. Taking down the brick would have caused massive destruction, and I liked the architectural detail it provided, so it stayed.

Two closets would store media equipment and games quite nicely. The three large windows still don't look the best, but I was excited to find a way to cover them that would look stylish and tie the colors I had in mind together.

This room also needed to house my office. Lucky me gets to work from home. I have a corner set aside where I sit and work from 8-12 Monday to Friday. It is perfect in every way.

The first picture includes a yard sale find from probably a decade ago. I loved this picture but it always sat in a storage room because it didn't quite fit. It is inlaid with pieces of cut wood in colors of turquoise, lime green and the corraly brick red the family room was painted. Finally it has found a home.




The family room is exactly that. This is where the family gathers...to watch tv, to play video games, to surf the computer and often to eat while watching reruns of the "Reba" show. The colors came together exactly as I pictured. Thanks to my sister Lori for sewing the curatins and pillows for me. I love this room!

3 comments:

Nikkie said...

All the rooms look amazing! You have done a great job at making everything look so inviting and comfortable.

Sandy and Spence said...

Well, you have done it again,girl! You transformed dull and dated to fab and fun! Keep it up! I can't wait to see the next room!!!...or outside. I am pretty much convinced you can anything you have a mind to do!

Lori said...

You definitely have the touch! Looks beautiful. I think I do need to come for a visit.